Sep 9, 2012

a house, a home

Hello!

I'm back!

Where have I been you might ask? Well, nowhere too exotic (sadly). But husband and I have embarked on a new adventure known as home-owning! That's right. I am a grown-up with a house of my very own now.

It's funny, because we weren't really planning on buying a house, but this place kind of fell into our laps, and it's hard to say no to a cute, white bungalow built in the 1960s. (At least, it is for me!) It's the perfect size for the two of us, with a huge fenced in yard for our future dog. And a nice sunny office for both of us to share. It has amazing hardwood floors and it even has one of those telephone shelves in the hallway.

Okay, I'm done bragging.

This entire week was pretty much dedicated to getting the bungalow in working order (aka "nesting"). When we first arrived the walls were this color:






Now many of you might have a different opinion. But for me: brown = bleh. I love bright, happy colors. And this did not fit the bill. For the longest time I was contemplating painting all of my walls bright and vibrant colors, but Laini Taylor's blog posts about her decor convinced me that pure white is the way to go. With a lot of colorful pieces of furniture and accessories to pop all over the place.

So we painted.

And painted.

And painted.





I never really registered how exhausting painting it. After three days it begins to sink in! But in the end it was all worth it:


(This is the one part of my house that is in a presentable state. But note the white walls. And white curtains. I have big plans for the bricks and painting them bright colors.)

The woman who lived here before us grew roses. I'm not the most green-thumbed individual, so I decided to relish the beautiful flowers while they lasted. In my Pinterest inspired beer bottle glasses that my husband is too afraid to drink out of (not that I blame him, I still haven't sanded down the edges).



Also, I found this in my driveway a few mornings ago. Should I be worried? Signs of an impending zombie apocalypse?


On that note. I should be blogging a bit more regularly now that most of my earthly possessions are no longer in boxes and my kitchen is functional. 

2 comments:

  1. Ah, cool! My husband and I also just bought our first house...with a yard for future dog, and roses that we will probably not be able to keep alive, and rooms that I plan to improve by stealing ideas from Laini Taylor... no telephone shelves or signs of zombies, however, though they could easily be hiding behind all our unpacked boxes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on your new home! It's kind of overwhelming isn't it? I hope your move/unpacking/nesting process is a smooth one!

      Delete